Saturday, April 18, 2015

Requiescat in Pace: FRANCIS CARDINAL GEORGE, Archbishop Emeritus of Chicago, 1937-2015


God's House such decades has been his
To tend, through fortunes or disaster,
He half forgets now which he is -
Custodian or Master.

The Old Prelate
Phyllis McGinley, 1952



I dreamt death came the other night
And heaven's gate swung wide;
With kindly grace an angel came
To usher me inside.

Yet there to my astonishment
Stood folks I'd known on earth,
Some I had judged as quite unfit
Or of but little worth.

Indignant words rose to my lips
But never were set free;
For every face showed stunned surprise
NO ONE expected me! 

Anonymous


just because:


Sweet Jesus, if you're listenin'
Keep me ever close to You,
As I'm stumblin', tumblin', wanderin',
As I'm travelin' through . . . 

2 comments:

  1. The best I can offer is my heartfelt hope that there, with Saint Peter at the pearly gates, will be his Oblate confrere Denis Hurley, embracing him warmly and continuing to hold him as George discovers that the heavenly liturgy is conducted according to a mixture of ICEL 1970s and ICEL 1998.

    May there be for him, for me, for us all, lots more mercy than justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That about sums it up......

      Delete