Tuesday, March 31, 2015

HOLY WEEK JOURNEY: FROM ASHES TO THE LIVING FONT


As Kingfishers Catch Fire

Gerard Manley Hopkins, S.J.

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame;
As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell's
Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:
Deals out that being indoor each one dwells;
Selves - goes itself; myself it speaks and spells,
Crying Whát I dó is me: for that I came.

I say móre: the just man justices;
Keeps grace: thát keeps all his goings graces;
Acts in God's eye what in God's eye he is -
Chríst - for Christ plays  in ten thousand places,
Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
To the Father through the features of men's faces.



2 comments:

  1. Fr. D. Thank you for sharing these thoughts and reflections this Holy Week. You are heling me this week to keep it a holy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. "Christ plays in ten thousand places", indeed. Beautiful. God is in the world. Let Him "play" and be seen in our lives more fully than before. I've not had a great Lent, I'm afraid, but I intend to have a good Triduum, at least.
    Thanks for the laughs you've given us. Have a good Easter, mate.

    ReplyDelete