Saturday, November 29, 2014

Does Reverend Father John T. Zuhlsdorf get what it takes to feed the poor as HE calls for?

By HE, I mean HIM. 


Yeah, I know it's getting old but it's most appropriate for this post.

Does Father John Zuhlsdorf get it?
I had a couple conversations over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday with friends and acquaintances about this issue. Father Z just does not get it, and I'm sad to say, I don't think he ever will.  
This isn't about traditional and contemporary rites of worship, nor is it about liberal and conservative political positions.

It is about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 


"For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in:"   
Mathew 25:35 Douay-Rheims Bible  

Father Zuhlsdorf Doesn’t Really Understand This Economics Thing, Does He?


"We don’t have to take every pronouncement or opinion on every topic from every Pope as if it were the Lord’s ipsissima verba. (very words)  What the Bishop of Rome teaches about concerning faith and morals… those things we Catholics had better take really seriously and, often, give consent of will to.  On the other hand, when it comes to contingent moral choices (exactly how to accomplish that which is incumbent on Christians in this vale of tears), we can have an argument."
       ~Reverend (not quite Doctor) John T. Zuhlsdorf HERE 

Okay, if as Catholics we don't have to take the Pope's  ipsissima verba, so seriously what about those of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?  


Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’  MT 25:37-40


And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”LK 3:11

Surely the early Church didn't take the Lord verbatim did they?  They must have known He was speaking figuratively as when He said, in John 6:35:


Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
Well, those are probably the only places in scripture where feeding  and helping the poor are mentioned.  Certainly there is much more about liturgy being proof of right faith through right worship!


If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.Isaiah 58:10
 Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.Proverbs 28:27
 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my worksJames 2:14-18
 But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.1 John 3:17-18
 Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.Proverbs 28:27


I'm sure you get me overly belabored point by now. 

The practice of fasting during seasons of preparation (Advent, Lent) have traditionally been coupled with additional prayers and alms-giving.  In fact, when fasting, the money saved from not buying so much food, was supposed to become ones alms given to those in need.  It is these parts of Tradition that many find easy to over look. 

Just because this is a heavy post, and because i stumbled upon this picture for the first time today, I'm going to share it with you.  It will make you laugh or give you nightmares. 
Perhaps both. 




Update Sunday 2:00
Thanks to the tip of a reader here is the original photo. ( I had no clue and it could not be more appropriate!)

Precious Prelate. Precious Miter.





17 comments:

  1. Father D,

    Splendid job in rendering Z, his greed, arrogance and gluttony as the pandering laughingstock he so richly deserves to be called.

    I sometime wonder what the Church would look like today had Pope John Paul I not been taken so suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of that scene from Family Guy where Quagmire tears into Brian over his hypocrisy and being full of shite. You can find that on Youtube, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, where would you be without Fr. Z?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would find this blog unnecessary if there was no Father Z.

      Delete
    2. That's like saying where would the liturgical pimpernel be without Patricius. I guess he ran out of venom, though, as he is no longer in business.

      Delete
    3. There would still be RetRorate, Ray-Ray Burke, and the BackDoordinate to make fun of.

      Delete
    4. Patricius, I thought you must be joking until I looked up the Liturgical Pimpernel!!
      Good grief. I miss a great deal. I guess I spend too much time on ebay looking for polyester chasubles with butterflies on them.

      I'm pretty certain Father Z is going nowhere.

      RetRorate we will always have with us.

      My point is, and pretty much has been, the Church is big enough for everyone. A diversity of rites and styles. Polyphony, Gregorian Chant, folk music, organ choirs, Latin, vernacular. I'v even seen a very well done Mass with contemporary music. Not my particular style, but if that is what helps draw people closer to God and understanding His will and Word, okay.
      I enjoy Gregorian chant in English maybe some Latin as well as Carpatho-Rusyn chant in English or Ukrainian.

      Delete
    5. I always thought it a good sign that the Septic Pustule (my name for the Liturgical Pimp-ernel) set up his blog in defiance of my own. Someone once said to me that it would be an even better sign if I received any death threats on account of my views. I am yet to receive any of those but I live in hope.

      Delete
  4. The Brick with Eyes is a lazy, sloppy and very shallow thinker but he need to feel justified and validated in the self-interested choices he has made. He has come to rely on the elitist ideologues of the Acton Institute, the back slappers of the Napa Institute, Legatus pizza club, Crisis Mag and First Things. Many of them have probably offered some subsidies and perks over the years in exchange for a favourable word on the parsonic blog.
    The Brick has learnt a number of survival skills from his catholic tea party mentors and one in particular stands out: the art of cherry picking the Social Encyclicals for snippets in support of the NeoCon economic and socio-political platform. It is very easy to do so and it is made even easier by the authors who deliberately wrote documents which accommodate a wide range of often conflicting, even mutually exclusive, points of view. The Documents of Ecumenical Councils and Canon Law are no different. What the lazy, sloppy reader of these documents fails to do is to evaluate the essential thrust of these against the message of the Gospel. In Rerum Novarum, Leo XIII left in no doubt that God's evidence supportive inclination (preferential option) for the poor is the criterion by which the credibility of the Church social Gospel stands or falls. Neither the Brick nor his ideological masters of the universe understand that.

    What they have failed to recognise is that sin is bigger than the violation of laws and prescriptions. They have trivialized sin and evil. They have conveniently ignored what Vat II, the post conciliar popes and theologians have been saying about 'structural sin and evil,' the institutionalization of avoidance of moral responsibility by replacing the 'buck stops here' of the CEO with the amorphous, morally neutral, board room of the Multi-National Corporation. That's the easier option all round as it allows the stakeholders the luxury of salving their consciences by reference to the virtues of the theoretical 'trickledown' effect on the macro scale and, on the individual level, the saving grace of the 'corporal works of mercy' - often a convenient excuse for thinking why these works have become necessary in the first place.

    I am convinced that one of the principal reasons for Zuhlsdorf's seething contempt for and resentment at Pope Francis is that he has left practically no room to cherry pick. The Brick has found himself exposed for what he really is. His pretences and endless self justifications have been stripped away.

    His dilemma now is that there is less and less money even in dumping ordure on the Pope - even the anaesthetized Supine followers are wary of that. There is even less to be made in official sede-vacantism. That crowd seem to be particularly abstemious and Calvinist in their economics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how someone has superimposed (or I guess you call it "photoshopped") Z's face on that famous photo of Fulton Sheen in full pontificals (taken at Spencer Abbey, MA, just to let you know I know what I'm talking about).

    Who know that someone could make an image of Fully look even gayer than the original!

    Only Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no clue. I just found the picture while searching for something else.
      Now that you place it in context I know the picture.
      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I couldn't resist posting it.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  6. Dear Readers and Readerettes,

    Do any of you know a prayer against chronic constipation? In Latin, preferably. Please say one for me.

    Thank you, God Bless, and don't forget my donation button, wish list and gift shoppe. And please, BUY MYSTIC MONK COFFEE.

    Father Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for heaven's sake Lacy-boy, you have the cure for your constipation in front of your face. Drink three cups of that sloppy Mystic Monk coffee in the morning and you will poop like a goose.
      Works for me.

      Delete
    2. Oh. Will you do me a fraternal kindness and buy me some?

      Fr. JTZzzzzz

      Delete
    3. A Moving ExperienceNovember 30, 2014 at 7:20 PM

      Just read a slab or two from di Pippione and Kawasaki in the New Liturgical Peristalsis and indeed the earth, sea and sky will be liberated from their Immemorial Blockage of the Ages.

      Delete