Sunday, November 30, 2014

DID HE OR DIDN'T HE? If only there were a way we could know for sure!



DID HE PRAY? 
DID HE NOT PRAY? 
QUIET CONTEMPLATION? 
WHAT DID HE REALLY DO?


"IN THE MOSQUE I PRAYED"


 "I went to Turkey as a pilgrim, not as a tourist. And I went especially for today’s feast celebrated by Patriarch Bartholomew . When I entered the mosque, I could not say: now I’m a tourist! I saw that marvelous place; the Mufti explained things very well to me, showing great meekness; he quoted the Quran when he spoke about Mary and John the Baptist. At that moment I felt the need to pray. So I asked him: Shall we pray a little? To which he responded: “Yes, yes”. I prayed for Turkey, for peace, for the Mufti, for everyone and for myself ... I said: Lord, let’s put an end to these wars! It was a moment of sincere prayer.”

Prayer is always a Breakthrough

Pope Francis is not only The Pope Of Christian Unity, he is also (for that very same reason) The Pope Wing Nut Krazies Hate. 

Father D muses: "Why didn't these converts become Orthodox? They already have the thuribles, the brocade, the ornate liturgical tastes, the wives and the facial hair .... Just do it!"

Oh wait.  The Greeks don't want them and their patrimony. The Russians will take them, providing they adopt the Julian Calendar (what a mess that issue is in and of itself among the Orthodox.) and use one of their already established Western Rites, and adopt fully embrace the Orthodox Patrimony, which would require that they drop their own Anglican baggage.

Oh wait, yet again. Pope Francis said Uniatism is a dated word. One of the most significant political issues with the Greek Patriarchate has been the Eastern Catholic Churches.   


"If we wait for theologians to reach an agreement, that day will never come! I am skeptical: theologians work well but Athenagoras said: “Let us put theologians on an island to discuss among themselves and we’ll just get on with things!” Unity is a journey we need to go on together, it is spiritual ecumenism, praying together, working together. Then there is ecumenism of the blood: when they kill Christians, bloods mix. Our martyrs are crying out: we are one. This is what ecumenism of the blood is. We must follow this path courageously and carry on moving forward. Perhaps some are not able to understand this. The Eastern catholic Churches have a right to exist, but uniatism is a dated word, another solution needs to be found.”

I'm sure many of you who follow Church Stuff know about this interview.  If not, you can find it here.  Please take a few moments and read all three pages.  It is well worth it. 

Interesting and exciting times.  Unity (not uniformity) in Diversity.  In Catholicism we need to listen to one another and to respect one another.  For thirty years those seeking freedom of the Traditional Latin Mass fought and struggled for it.  They should not have needed to do so.  But, once Summorum Pontificum gave them their hearts desire, many took this to the extreme and have attempted to impose their preferences on the rest of the Church through "mutual enrichment."   Either or, not both and. 

I can be stubborn.  I can be opinionated. I can be uncharitable.  Especially in the blogosphere where names, faces, thoughts and feelings are relegated to words on the screen. The Pope calls us all to mutual respect and dialog. Is it a challenge we can rise to?  Perhaps, if we open our minds and hearts to the movement of the Holy Spirit. 


36 comments:

  1. He prayed. And shows us the way to pray.

    Exciting times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. The krazies are especially whiny about this. I didn't know that this would be a thing. My favorite was passive aggressively crabbing about Pope Francis' couture yet again. The krazies, especially the clergy, is very upset that he refuses to wear shiny enough vestments for them. http://southernorderspage.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-splendor-of-eastern-ortodox-divine.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Beth. He prayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But was he listened to?

      Delete
  4. Women are allowed to write openly here? And express their own opinions? Sweet lawd almighty Father D, you are on the verge of being a Protty. Bible verses, female opinions. What's next? Nuns in spandex doing liturgical dance?
    I read this blog when I was in Rome for seminary, and caught a reprimand from the vice rector for telling my classmates about it. We are all serving in parishes in the US now and your blog makes the email rounds of my old classmates. Most laugh with you but a couple find nothing funny here. I find that very entertaining. One is now a secretary to one of the bishops you make fun of often. The bishop is not a fan Father D nor is his eager to be monsignor secretary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the ... I admit that I have been slowly going around the twist with some of the posters here but, Beth Cioffoleti, takes the bun. Get over yourself Beth. Francis knows how to pray? He wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of knowing how to pray. For God's sake, haven't you read some of the stuff he said at St Martha's. He's a sandwich short of a picnic or he's got one hell of a script writer. He's just got off the bus from Buoanes Aires a short while ago for God's sake. Plus he's a Jesuit. He wouldn't have clue about prayer. Wake up woman. Are you one of these new fangled New Age nuns or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, JD, at least I'm not afraid to use my real name, my real picture, and my real identity. Read Francis' homily from Santa Marta every morning, and learning a lot. Since the day he walked out on that balcony to become Pope Francis, I have known that he was my personal pastor, even half a world away. I am not a nun, not new age, Jesuit educated, and believe it or not, I call myself Catholic. What and who are you? Or are you afraid to expose yourself?

      Delete
    2. I think there has been a serious mistake here....If I am reading this correct..Beth is on JD side...

      Delete
    3. not on anybody's "side", anonymous ... just expressing (and defending) myself. If that's ok. Glad that I'm not censored. I try to be honest, charitable, and non-obscene. If that's ok. I'm not clever.

      Delete
    4. I don't think the JD criticizing Beth is the real JTD, right?

      Delete
    5. right. I find it pretty funny that JD says that I "take the bun" and need to "get over myself", when all I said was that Francis prayed. JD is looking to pick a fight with someone/anyone. I may not be clever, but I'm pretty clear about what's going on here and wide awake.

      Delete
    6. Beth, the person commenting is NOT FrJTD!

      Delete
  6. Did he take his shoes off in publick? I remember when Britney did that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, as you'll notice the above person pretending to be the author of this blog isn't. When the real J.T. Duzuhlsdorf (note the misspelling in the above impostor's handle) posts, he is thoughtful and charitable - and able to spell Buenos Aires. The above neotrad proves the characteristics of the breed: amorality, nastiness, frothing at the mouth, and inability to construct a logical, thoughtful argument - hence the ad hominem attack. I think we could use the REAL Padre Duzuhlsdorf on this thread, and need to mark the faux Duzuhldorf as spam, which is exactly what he is. Hang in there, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Irim!
      The real Fr D comments have a picture of my beautiful chin and starched white roman clerical collar. Well, as real as Father JTD can ever be I guess.
      Besides, most of the people who post here with a real identity have communicated with Fr D personally via email at one time or another.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I was "identity hijacked" in another thread. The good news about this is that usually the fools who resort to this have lost the capacity to engage in rational debate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected, but was not sure.
      I am usually pretty good at identifying writing style and tone.
      Two relatively serious posts in a row must have sent them over the edge. I should be more careful of their sensitivity to the depth of the Pope's commitment to actually walking the walk.

      Delete
    2. D, you're a scholar and a priest... It makes sense that opponents would want to confound and confuse by playing with your identity; but what bollocks licking imbecile would want mine?

      Delete
    3. I'm no scholar. Is "bollocks licking imbecile " Latin for bishop?

      Delete
    4. No really, JTD. It's insider code dialect for a wannabee 'Monsignor'. You know, the 'wink, wink, nudge, nudge' aspiration of Lacy-Lard-Ass himself.

      Delete
    5. No, Father... It's early Middle English for pandering practitioner of douchebaggery.

      Have you ever heard of a TurDuckEn? It's this deep south poultry preparation where we remove bones from three birds... the chicken is shoved into the duck and both of these are shoved into the turkey.

      I think we could make a fortune marketing a ZuBurkorLino. We should for good will and ethical reasons add a hellth warning that over consuming this product would be dangerous.

      Since this is a new marketing idea, I'll defer to you as to the order of whose head belongs up whose arse.


      Delete
    6. In ecclesiastical matters its usually tough to tell. Standard practice is lesser to greater. Burke has his head up his own ass usually.

      Delete
    7. You'd know, having spent a lifetime up your own.

      Delete
    8. To the impostor Dick from the real Dick Hertz... Sod off tosser.

      Delete
  9. I am the real Dick Hertz. You are the impostor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MTU, I think it's rather obvious, don't you. He seems rather obsessed to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I want to be John T Zuhlsdorf.
      I am so jealous of him, I can't stop.
      I wish I were him. I wish I had mindless adoring Zzzombies sending me gifts of cash and ammo, in addition to books and groceries from my year round Christmas list.

      Delete
  11. Damn, we're being invaded by intellectually inferior fourth graders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What gave it away? They scat obsession or the repeated mindless "content" of the text?
      I find it funny that they get so irritated over this insignificant blog that has only experienced increased traffic because of their ranting about it.

      Delete
    2. Well, Fr. D, its almost that time of the year to watch It's a Wonderful Life again. Do you think that an angel gets his wings every time a ZZZombie is deprogrammed?

      Delete
    3. That's a scintillating life you live, Dick. Between reading Fr D's post and a Wonderful Life, can't leave much room for anything else. I want some of what you've got.

      Delete
    4. Well, It's a Wonderful Life was on last night and was very much enjoyed by my wife and me. I do read this particular blog quite often and truly appreciate the creative lampooning of those so richly deserving of it. If you think this a scintillating life makes, I'm at a true loss for what else to say...

      Delete