Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"I COMPLAINED BECAUSE I HAD NO SHOES, UNTIL I MET A MAN WHO HAD NO FEET"

  • But in the midst of all the human suffering, a friend sent us this material from a truly orthodox and serious Catholic blog (so unlike ours) that helped us realize: Yikes! Wow! and Oh My Goodness! You think YOU have problems, till you meet people who are REALLY deeply awash in inner turmoil.

    Being a victim of the post-Vatican II that, according to all these other blogs, robbed us of the true Mass, I don't know a bugia from a buskin, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD someone out there . . . can you help these people out?

    When "Mass was taken seriously" and there was "no sense of the priest's personality ever asserting itself for its own sake." And really important priests kept lots of cool hats ready to hand. And everyone had something to do or hold or ring or rap or carry around. And altar steps mattered, for God's sake!
    "Apropos the removal of chasuble and maniple: I later learned that the ICRSS do that in Italy as well, but the FSSP do not."
    I believe that the ICRSS priests in the U.S. do this also, as did--it appears in posted photos--Msgr. Wadsworth at this year's Mater Ecclesiae Mass of the Assumption in Philadelphia's Cathedral Basilica.
      • Avatar
        My (limited) understanding is that the celebrant may remove the chasuble (in addition to the maniple) if the pulpit at which he is to preach is *outside* the sanctuary. If, however, he preaches from a simple ambo *within* the sanctuary (or simply stands on the predella, Gospel side, facing the people), he does not have to remove the chasuble, but simply removes the maniple. But I'm not really a rubricist, so am willing to stand corrected. Anyone know for sure? Is this merely a matter of local custom?
        • Avatar
          I believe I once saw an FSSP priest do this in North America - but he had newly arrived from Europe. None of the others do it - just take off the maniple
            • Avatar
              The ICRSS in the US commonly remove the chasuble as well as the maniple, in my experience. Br. Morrison's note is interesting though; at the locale where I have attended the most ICRSS services, the ambo is outside the Sanctuary. That being said, the priest informed someone who asked in my presence that it is because preaching is a priestly act but not a liturgical act - no reference to Sanctuary vs. not Sanctuary.

            10 comments:

            1. I complained because I had no mitre, until I met a bishop who had no brains. Actually, I've met quite a few. Usually the fancier the mitre, the emptier the head.

              ReplyDelete
              Replies
              1. Truth! Preach on!

                " It seems that the original reason for removing the chasuble and/or maniple was that, back in the day, when homilies were much lengthier and more energetic affairs..."

                Back in the day? I've attended the TLM most of my fifty plus year of life and I can't remember ONE sermon/homily that I would call "animated". Unless the writer is referencing the elderly priest at my home parish who used to dance, hum and shake during Mass out of nervousness and the onset of Parkinson's Disease. No wait, that was the NEW MASS.

                Delete
              2. the counter-reformation was a very animated time, but that was a jesuit affair of course and those jesuit modernists have never been really into the tridentine liturgical dance like our good jansenist and anglican-catholic friends.

                Delete
              3. You don't remember animation in the bad old daze? You obviously never attended parish missions conducted by the Passionists! You want to talk about animation! They could put the traveling tent preachers to shame when it came to good old fashioned spiritual diarrhea, complete with movin', shakin', cryin' and just plain gruesomeness.

                Delete
            2. I have lain awake nights worrying that Canon Lacy-pants did not remove his maniple....AT ALL, last Sunday, at Saint Waldugia Latin Mass parish. (The only place with the REAL Mass.)
              I rushed to the confessional and confessed that I had not assisted at a VALID Sunday Mass and that when I am struck by that car and killed on the way home that I am terrified that this grievous mortal sin will get me thrown in Hell. I was absolved in the latin form.
              Now I worry because I am not sure that my contrition was sincere and that I have a HIDDEN mortal sin on my soul that was not REALLY forgiven.
              What will I do? I have tried numerous ejaculations, but you know where THAT gets you.

              ReplyDelete
            3. Accessorizing all these vestments with maniples and lace. Such feminization of the once glorious mass!

              Disagree with their politics but love this from the Free Republic.

              Society of St. Pius 1

              http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1406639/posts

              What more proof could anyone POSSIBLY need?! The so-called “Traditional Latin Mass” is NOT traditional at all!!! It’s a drastic change in 200 years of liturgical tradition, and one concocted by unknown scholars and unaccountable liturgical “experts.” It is a dangerous modern innovation that is putting millions of souls in jeopardy!!

              FACT: Latin is NOT the original language of the Church!

              It’s a VERNACULAR language that was foisted on the Roman church by Pope Victor I (A.D. 190-202), who was an AFRICAN priest--NOT a Roman!!!

              The earliest liturgies at Rome as described by St. Justin Martyr were in GREEK. But once Victor made the change in language, that OPENED THE DOOR a century later to a barrage of changes in the rite of Mass itself, from which the Roman Rite has NEVER recovered.

              This opening up of vernacular languages has led to the Church becoming a veritable Tower of Babel, full of all sorts of barbarian languages that were NOT SPOKEN BY THE APOSTLES. Was this what Christ intended when he prayed that the church be one? A hodge podge of incomprehensible barbarian tongues that were formerly used to worship fake gods like Jupiter? Die-hard Vulgate Pope John VIII even allowed Cyril and Methodius to translate the liturgy for the Slavs into Old Church Slavonic!!


              ReplyDelete
              Replies
              1. Once glorious mass? Gloria never was allowed to say mass.

                Delete
            4. "Preaching is a priestly act but not a liturgical act" -- "The homily becomes too much a part of the liturgy" -- what utter rubbish. Thank GOD for Vatican II.

              The traddie movement is teetering on intellectual bankruptcy.

              ReplyDelete
              Replies
              1. The bum boys and lacy line dancers of The Movement and allied rags have never ever provided evidence of having one single theologian, liturgist or historian of any intellectual stature, gravitas or credibility.

                Anonymous, has spoken wisely: intellectually bankrupt.

                Delete
            5. I am just happy as a freakin' clam to relearn all of these arcane rules on who can wear/remove what, when and wear while pretending to glorify the Lord.

              It takes me back to my pre-V2 days as an altar boy. Golly, that sure was a lot of fun.

              ReplyDelete