Saturday, October 19, 2013

DOES FATHER Zzzzz PROMOTE PARTICIPATION IN SCHISM?? YOU DECIDE!

Canon Lawyers?  People with common sense?  Please weigh in.
My comments are in blue.

Kiss it kiddies

QUAERITUR: Confession at regular parish but Sunday Mass at SSPX?

From a reader:
Howdy Fr. Z [Fine, thanks!] Me too thanks!
I had a question about fulfilling my Sunday Obligation at an SSPX chapel. First let me say, I am 100% with the bishops and the pope. I prefer the Latin Mass. I am about 50-60 minutes away from the closest and only diocesan TLM in Dallas, and being a college student I cannot really afford to drive there every week. However, there is an SSPX chapel about 10 minutes from where I go to school. Since I have seen you write where SSPX confession are not valid, but their Eucharist is, could I go to confession at a diocesan parish and go to Mass at the SSPX chapel, would this fulfill my obligation? Please keep in mind this is strictly due to my preference of the TLM, not disobedience to the pope or bishops. Any help would be great.
In short order:
Yes and Yes. Oh really now? My understanding is quite different. See Canon 844 of the current Code of Canon Law
You can go to confession at a regular parish (which is where you will find a confessor, that is, a priest with faculties and who absolves validly – unlike the SSPX priests except in danger of death when the law and situation give them faculties for that moment).
You can fulfill your Sunday obligation at a chapel of the SSPX. The Mass they say is valid (for valid celebration of Mass faculties are not needed – Mass is valid but illicit). The Mass is in a Catholic rite. That’s what canon law requires.  This is NOT what the law requires.  Here is the Law.
844 §2. Whenever necessity requires it or true spiritual advantage suggests it, and provided that danger of error or of indifferentism is avoided, the Christian faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister are permitted to receive the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.    Like so many ultra liberals, the ultra conservatives will twist the Rules when it works to their favor.  What would Dr. Ed Peters say?  Perhaps you might ask him?
That said, some time ago there was a statement from the Holy See that attending Mass at chapels that were loosely associated with the SSPX did NOT fulfill the Sunday obligation. So, make sure it is truly an SSPX chapel.
Also, given the way the SSPX is going on these days, it may happen that the Holy See will adjust its approach. You can bet on it.  I hope that will not be the case, but one of these days I suspect that Rome will confirm in an official way what the SSPX seems to want (for one reason or another): to be separate.
Finally, it grieves me that you don’t have better access to TLMs there.  How very sad that priests don’t care about the pastoral care of so many of the faithful, OH puhleeese!!  SO MANY priest don't care?  POPPYCOCK! especially in a time when being “pastoral” (usually pronounced by liberals as “pastOral” or even – and I shudder – “pastO-ree-al”) is all the rage.  They are really only concerned with those who think like they do. Point one finger John, and three more are pointing back at YOU.
And since I haven’t said it for a while: Benedict XVI was the Pope of Christian Unity. Not when it comes to the SSPX and others of their ilk he wasn't. 
END OF Zzzzzzarticle


I will not disrespect the Pontiff Emeritus Benedict XVI.  He achieved many great things.  He freed the TLM for those with a love for it. I am delighted for this. It needed to happen, because the local bishops were strangling the Old Rite. 

To encourage a young impressionable college student to attend a schismatic chapel administered by a religious society that obtained its prelates without a Papal Mandate and that teach many doctrines that are contrary to the Second Vatican Council (such as the New Mass is evil) is irresponsible. Not to mention the antisemitism held by many of its members!  It might very well be time to complain to Bishop Robert Morlino of Madison and Bishop Vincenzo Apicella of Velletri-Segni.

UPDATE: Sunday 20 October 2013 11:30 PM

I have never claimed to have all the answers.  If I ever DO make such a claim I KNOW at least three four regular readers will call me
out on it either in the comment box or via email. I'm glad. When one adopts the attitude "my blog my rules" one can easily and rapidly earn a reputation of being a pompous obese rodents behind.  

I have some very intelligent readers(and readerettes: you know who you are) whom I have a great respect for.  I think I have demonstrated by my actions that even if you disagree with me, call me out for my lack of charity, etc. etc. I will not attempt to delete, ban, silence or suppress your free speech.  Respectful open dialog leads to understanding and growth.  (yeah yeah, I know!  I sound like a bleeding heart liberal. Label me if you must!)

All this to draw your attention to a comment made that I thought worthy of highlighting for those too good, or too busy or too apathetic to read the comments.


"Since the Z-man is all about brick by brick, wouldn't it have been better to encourage the college student to request a Mass on campus? Most Catholic university ministries are conservative and would probably be willing to have a Latin Mass at least semi-regularly.

As for playing footsie with the SSPX, their main issues with the Church have always been Nostra Aetate and the Church's abandonment of Crown and Altar politics. (It would be interesting to juxtapose Fellay with the actual Vicar of Christ.). The main reason why so many bishops (and local pastors) erect roadblocks to the Latin Mass is because it attracts people who have ideological issues with Vatican II."
  
Anonymous  Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM





5 comments:

  1. Since the Z-man is all about brick by brick, wouldn't it have been better to encourage the college student to request a Mass on campus? Most Catholic university ministries are conservative and would probably be willing to have a Latin Mass at least semi-regularly.

    As for playing footsie with the SSPX, their main issues with the Church have always been Nostra Aetate and the Church's abandonment of Crown and Altar politics. (It would be interesting to juxtapose Fellay with the actual Vicar of Christ.). The main reason why so many bishops (and local pastors) erect roadblocks to the Latin Mass is because it attracts people who have ideological issues with Vatican II.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had much experience with this, I must point out that according to this experoence, most campus ministries are NOT "conservative," to the point of driving away poor students as I once was who just wanted the sacraments as prescribed by the Church's books... without weekly dissent from its teaching on faith and morals and constant grave liturgical abuse. Ended up seeking out the local diocesan parish, where I encountered many other student refugees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? I've been to college and can tell you that the people who attended Mass at my college were very motivated. Most cradle Catholic college kids spend their Sundays in bed nursing hangovers. There is nothing to suggest that the college ministry wouldn't be willing to respond the student. It seems like a better suggestion for the Z-man to suggest that the student ask his or her campus ministry rather than to suggest that he or she attend a schismatic and anti-Semitic cult posing as a Catholic sect.

      As for your situation, if there were so many refugees from the campus Newman center, then why didn't you organize them and demand more solemn worship. Part of being in college is learning how to be an adult and to assert oneself in a positive way. If there was enough interest, I'm sure that the ministry would provide more solemn worship and even Latin Masses. If not, I'm sure that you won't be dismissed outright, but it would be important to understand that a huge majority of the students prefer a different type of worship. (But I highly doubt that this would happen.)

      Also, can we please get over whining about liturgical abuses. My issue with the Z-man is that he isn't a pastor and doesn't understand the demands. I hate his obsession with and whining about different Masses. I don't want people to nitpick my job, so I won't nitpick priests. More important to me is the fact that many priests, especially those of my generation like minutia rather than working with people.

      Delete
  3. Oh boy... did you read my post very carefully? My comment was about the campus ministry staff, not the level of student motivation. Also, I would think you'd give me a little more credit. By the way, where in my posr did I endorse anything related to the SSPX or justifying separatist behavior? Simply responded to the characterization of most Catholic campus ministries as "conservative." The liturgical abuse and dissent I've witnessed would curl your hair... we are not talking about small infelicities here. I believe in respecting priests and not spreading scandal (none of this has to do with sex, by the way), so I don't need to recount details. We have all seen or heard about these things. At that time, I had never even heard the term "liturgical abuse," but even my CCD-volunteer-educated self sensed that this stuff was very wrong. By the way, we did get together, document the problems, and even respectfully contacted the local bishop, who did nothing, and finally ignored our phone calls.
    With all respect, I think you should realize that your suggestion that college students simply go up and tell the priest/campus ministry how to do things is rather naive. The problem is that the type who can see fit to force these things on people already has very little respect for them... not exactly the listening type.
    The priest was later removed from ministry, by the way. After I had graduated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Campus Ministries are often a bolt hole of the worst liturgical abuse. Decades of experience has taught me this.

    ReplyDelete