Saturday, March 23, 2013

HOLY WEEK CHALLENGE


Today is the Saturday before Palm Sunday, the beginning of Holy Week which climaxes with the Easter Vigil, Easter Sunday, Pascha, The Feast of the Glorious Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

In 20 years of active ministry I have never seen an Eastern Rite Prelate in a purple veil.
Just an odd picture and off factoid I thought I would toss in. How about you? Ever seen this? If you have I would love to know when and where. 


This is the holiest week of the Christian year, starting Palm Sunday which intensifies Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday.  The Sacred Triduum. 

This will be my last blog post until maybe Easter evening.  I need the week to get ready for the final four days.


I don't know about you folks, but I'm a pretty poor Christian.  I'm judgmental, snarky, at times jealous, lazy, angry, and at times gluttonous.  I don't pray the full office every day as I am supposed to.  When I do, I sometime don't do so with full attention and devotion.  The list goes on.

On March 31st we will celebrate the Feast of Feasts. We need to prepare. Lent helps, but there are so many distractions. Time for me to remove some of these. This blog is one of them. 

I challenge you, readers, bloggers, facebookers, etc, etc... 
 
Get off the computer

If you can't totally unplug, spend less time. Set a time limit per day-- spread it out over the day, but set a limit.  Read something spiritually uplifting. The Passion Narratives of the Gospels are nice this time of year.  Stations of the Cross at church or in your home.  The rosary.  Clean out your closet and give some of your clothes to an agency that helps the poor.  Eat simple meals at home.  Give some of the money saved to an agency that helps the poor. Visit a relative or neighbor that lives alone or in a nursing home. Be kind to a total stranger, just because you can. Go to confession, because you need to. Bring someone with you to confession or one of the Holy Week services. Tenebrae is one of the most beautiful and deeply moving services. If you have never participated, this is the time to give it a try-- it only happens  three nights out of the year and they all fall in this week.

If Lent has been less than meaningful for you so far this year:

Get off the computer

Yeah, I'm serious!
After Easter, visit this post and again and share what you did and how it went for you. If you want to. It is anonymous after all.

Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord! 
 Please pray for this sinful and unworthy, "Father D" ) as close to my real name as you will get) and I will pray for each of you and your friends, families and loved ones.  Blessed Holy Week and Joyous Easter!

 We adore you O Christ and we praise you; because by your cross you have redeemed the world.



 Challenge Father Z and other bloggers to unplug for Holy Week or at the very least, the Holy Triduum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment