Monday, December 10, 2012

Father Was A Flautist

EDITORIAL NOTE: This post, almost word for word appeared on Father Zzzz's Blog back in December 2012. All I did was change the pictures, video and maybe a couple words. This was the finished product. (For better or worse.)  Within 24 hours Zzzz man removed his post. (For better or worse.) 

The best post really do write themselves. 

Out of the blue someone, an anonymous reader, cruelly [not really], sent me this.  It includes the last piece of music I ever performed in public.




Frankly, I had a clearer, brighter sound from my Haynes.  I had an edge that was not quite others in my day. Rampal, with whom I once did a master class, remarked: like a “needle”.

I was, originally, going to be a professional musician.



My career as a pro musician was slowed by an accident.  I obtained, one fine autumn day, some 20 stitches in my lower lip. That slowed me down. I got interested in other things… such as the Catholic Church.

Anyway, I played this piece in the chapel of the St. Paul Seminary once upon a time, after I had been thrown out.  I was “deselected” but, the bastards, they still wanted me to play.


I put the flute away, after that last sounding in the seminary chapel. I have never blown a serious note since.

5 comments:

  1. Where is your Christian charity?

    The real Fr. Z is a holy man of God and obedient to the Holy Father and Holy Mother Church.

    Just because he has other talents, such as cooking, and has fine tastes for good restaurants and cigars does not make him game for your childish jokes.

    I’m sure he needs the money from his followers because he obviously has some sort of serious condition that does not permit him to be a parish priest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "because he obviously has some sort of serious condition that does not permit him to be a parish priest.”

      Hmmm, what sort of condition could that be now?

      Laziness?
      Gluttony?
      Avarice?

      Delete
    2. "The real Fr. Z is a holy man of God and obedient to the Holy Father and Holy Mother Church"

      Thank you for visiting my humble blog Father Z. It's a real honour for me to have a cleric of your stature drop by. Would you consider adding me to you blogroll ?

      Delete
  2. Father, I know what you mean about blowing your best on the skin flute all through the Seminary, only to be de-selected in the end. Make that AT the end. And still they want you to keep blowing.

    But luckily I was sent to the NAC where, not only was Inez's ability on the skin flute respected. It was rewarded! In fact, for many of my classmates, it was a faster ticket to the Chancery Office than making sure You-Know-Who had fresh flowers in his suite and a mint on his pillow!

    Of course, some NACers never make it home, or if they do, they're back in Rome in no time. They're the ones who realized that, no matter how many doors the skin flute opens, you're much more likely to advance if you know your way around antique Italian organs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one's ability, not Inez.

      Sorry, had a certain Hispanic Cardinal on the brain because he was such a fan of the skin flute. His "other name" was Inez, if you get my drift. As in "Oh thank God, INEZ is announcing the new Pope, so at least it isn't her!"

      Delete